- 1 medium onion, cut into wedges
- 4 large russet potatoes, quartered
- 1 pound carrots cut on bias
- 4 cups water
- 3 garlic cloves, minced
- 2 sprigs fresh thyme
- 1 bay leaf
- 2 tablespoons sugar
- 2 tablespoons cider vinegar
- 1/2 teaspoon pepper
- 1 corned beef brisket with pickling seasoning packet (2-1/2 to 3 pounds), cut in half
- 1- Medium size head cabbage ( 2-3#), cut into wedges
- Place the onion, potatoes and carrots in a 6- to 7-qt. slow cooker. Combine the water, garlic, bay leaf, thyme, sugar, vinegar, pepper and pickling seasoning pack; pour over vegetables. Top with brisket and cabbage.
- Cover and cook on low for 8-9 hours or until meat and vegetables are tender. Discard bay leaf before serving. Yield: 6-8 servings.
- Serve with soda bread and a cold beer