Some great tips here for all of us – how we can best take care of ourselves. A good resource from Today’s Caregiver Magazine, website: https://caregiver.com/. Post this on your refrigerator as a great reminder!
- Laugh about something every day.
- Take care of yourself physically.
- Eat a well-balanced diet.
- Talk with someone every day.
- Let family and friends help. Give them a chance.
- Give yourself permission to have a good cry. Tears aren’t a weakness, they reduce tension.
- A brisk walk counts.
- Get adequate rest.
- Try a bowl of Cheerios and milk before bed to promote sleep.
- Avoid noisy and/or tension-filled movies at night. The late news itself can add to stress. Skip it.
- Reduce daily caffeine intake.
- Get professional help if you feel your support system isn’t adequate or if you feel overwhelmed.
- Take a break every day, even if it’s only 10 minutes alone in the backyard.
- Explore community resources and connect yourself with them.
- Listen to music.
- Learn relaxation techniques.
- Regularly attend one or more support groups and education workshops.
- Give yourself a treat at least once a month: an ice cream cone, a new shirt or dress….a night out with friends….a flowering plant.
- Know your limitations.
Director of Family Services