Together We Cook: Kensington’s Caregiver Culinary Corner
As part of our Monthly Caregiver Series, we are delighted to partner with Dr. Annie Fenn, founder of Brain Health Kitchen. Each month, Dr. Fenn will share with us recipes that we can make at home that encourage brain health…and taste delicious as well!
This month’s featured recipe is:
Kale Salad with Persimmons and Spiced Walnuts
The demands of care-giving leave no time for self-care, including preparing delicious, brain-healthy meals. Make this salad when the persimmons are in season and plentiful; they are just bursting with flavor and brain-healthy nutrients. This beautiful kale salad pairs bitter greens, honey-flavored persimmons and a sweet and salty topping of spiced walnuts.
- 2 tablespoons extra virgin olive oil plus 1 teaspoon for the nuts
- 1 tablespoon freshly squeezed orange or lemon juice
- 1 small garlic clove minced
- ¾ teaspoon kosher salt plus more to taste
- 1 cups bunch lacinato kale leaves torn into bite-sized pieces (about 4total), discard stems or reserve for another use, also known as Tuscan or dinosaur
- 1 cup raw walnut halves or pieces
- 1 teaspoon coconut palm sugar
- ¼ teaspoon ground cumin
- ¼ teaspoon ground cinnamon
- ¼ teaspoon cayenne pepper or chili powder
- ½ small head radicchio sliced ¼-inch thick
- 2 ripe persimmons cored and sliced into ⅛-inch thick rounds, preferably Fuyu
- freshly ground black pepper to taste
Preheat your oven to 350ºF.
In a medium salad bowl, whisk 2 tablespoons of the oil, the orange or lemon juice, garlic, and ½ teaspoon salt.
Add the kale and radicchio and toss well to coat. Use your hands to ensure all the greens are coated evenly with the dressing. Set aside at room temperature while you make the rest of the salad, at least 20 minutes.
Place the walnuts on a small baking sheet. Toast for 5 to 7 minutes, until fragrant and golden brown. Meanwhile, stir together the sugar, cumin, cinnamon, cayenne, and ¼ teaspoon salt in a small bowl; set aside.
Heat the remaining teaspoon of oil in large skillet over low heat. Add the toasted walnuts and toss to coat. Remove from the heat and stir in the spices until the walnuts are coated evenly.
Add the radicchio to the kale and toss to combine. Top the greens with the persimmons, the spiced walnuts, and any oil from the skillet. Toss until the persimmons are also coated with the dressing. Finish the salad with a pinch more salt and freshly ground black pepper, if you like. Serve immediately.