Dear Residents, Families, and Friends,
Over the past couple of months, our Kensington Park Music Therapy Groups have been exploring musical and film music during our Summer on Broadway Song Series!
I have always been a fan of musicals because of the clever way that the story, melody, lyrics and dancing weave together. My favorite musical as a kid was Wicked. Before I ever saw the musical, I had the Wicked Musical Soundtrack CD. I remember listening to the soundtrack over and over on my CD player. It was a special day when I finally got to see the Wicked musical in Chicago! Whenever I listen to the songs from Wicked, I feel a sense of nostalgia, remembering when I first heard the music. Musical and film music is not only enjoyable but it also brings back memories from when we heard the songs for the first time.
Here are some of the most popular tunes from our Summer on Broadway Song Series:
- “The Sound of Music” from The Sound of Music
- “Oh What a Beautiful Morning” from Oklahoma
- “Getting to Know You” from The King & I
- “Singin’ in the Rain” from Singin’ in the Rain
- “Seventy-Six Trombones” from The Music Man
- “I Could Have Danced All Night” from My Fair Lady
- “Some Enchanted Evening” from South Pacific
- “Hello Dolly!” From Hello Dolly
- “You’ll Never Walk Alone” from Carousel
- “A Bushel and a Peck” from Guys & Dolls
For more information on music therapy or brain wellness, contact Julia McCarren at JMcCarren@kensingtonsl.com.