- 2 Tbs. Vegetable oil
- 2 lbs. of onions, julienned
- kosher salt-to taste
- Pepper-to taste
- 2 lbs. unsalted butter
- 1 lb. Granny smith apples, peeled and sliced thin
- 2 tsp. sugar
- 1 ½ oz. Gruyere cheese, grated
- 2 tbs. fresh chives-minced
- 1 tsp. fresh thyme-chopped
- 1 package of frozen puff pastry, thawed
- Egg wash
Preheat oven to 400 degrees, line baking sheet with parchment paper.
In a large pan over medium heat add oil. Sauté Onions add salt and stir occasionally until onions are caramelized. Transfer to bowl and Set aside.
In same pan melt butter and add apples and sugar stir to coat the apples. Cook, stir until the apples start to caramelize and have softened. Transfer to bowl with Onions, stir in cheese and pepper and fresh herbs.
Cut Pastry into 2 inch squares and place on baking sheet, space squares 1 inch apart. Brush pastry with egg wash. Add 1 tbsp. of filling in center of square. Bake until pastry is crisp and golden about 25 minutes. Let cool and serve at room temperature.